Thursday 20 September 2012

Introduction

I am currently a 3rd year Occupational Therapy (OT) student at the University of KwaZulu Natal in Durban, South Africa. As part of our curriculum we were asked to start a blog. This blog can be best described as eclectic. There is no theme, rather is it a compilation of my thoughts and experiences as an Occupational Therapy student.
What is Occupational therapy?
“I am studying Occupational Therapy” is what I tell people that ask me what I do, to which they usually respond “Oh! You work with children that have learning disabilities” or one more memorable response was “Wow! That must be really hard because there are so many occupations.” In that particular instance I nodded in agreement because I could tell that it would be harder to explain further, but my personal interpretation of Occupational Therapy is we treat both mentally and physically disabled individuals and our aim is to help them lead independent and meaningful lives. This is by no means a text book definition but personally I think it sums up what we as Occupational Therapist to achieve which is to give people meaning. This is the aspect of our profession that makes me love what I do.
I hope you enjoy reading this blog as much as I enjoy writing it …

No comments:

Post a Comment