Tuesday 25 September 2012

Be the change you want to see in the world

Archbishop Desmond Tutu has had a series of recent outbursts slamming the current state of affairs in our country and in my opinion his concerns are completely valid.  “What on earth are you doing!” he shouted in reference to violence that is currently plaguing our country. I can only agree! For years individuals like Nelson Mandela fought for peace and equality in South Africa but we seem to have completely disregarded their intent for our country. We are killing each other and in doing so we are killing the vision that Mandela and other notable freedom fighters had for South Africa.
This is an issue that I feel particularly strongly about. I love my country. It is rich with diversity and culture and there is beauty everywhere we turn, but I live in fear. I live in fear for myself and the people I love.
“The greatest gift our nation could possibly give uTata Nelson Mandela … would be to emulate his magnanimity and grace" Tutu said during Mandela’s 94th birthday celebrations. This reminds me of my favourite saying by Gandhi which is “be the change you want to see in the world.” This is so appropriate to our current state of affairs. It is up to us to make a change.  If we as South Africans can lead by example and be ambassadors of a country that Mandela and the other prominent freedom fighters envisioned for our country we would live in a more united and peaceful place.
“I am 80-years-old. Can’t you allow us elders to go to our graves with a smile, knowing that this is a good country? Because truly - it is a good country!” Tutu said. I suggest we work together as a country to make Archbishop Desmond Tutu’s wish come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment