Thursday 20 September 2012

A Tabelspoon of Inspiration

Joost van der Westhuizen is widely known for his successful rugby career, his marriage to Amor Vittone, and the infamous sex tape. He even admits to be arrogant saying “I must say I was a bit arrogant. But that’s what my life of playing rugby made me. I am not blaming rugby at all. It is a question of everybody wants your autograph, your photo, your time… all your life, people looked after you. You got away with everything.”
Admittedly, from this, I drew up a rather unflattering picture of this man in my mind. However, after watching Derek Watts’ interview with Joost on Carte Blanche the picture I had developed of him slowly changed and he became an inspiring role model to anyone battling disability.
These days Joost is more commonly recognised for his battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a motor neuron disease that is rapidly progressive and characterised by muscle weakness and wasting. In Joosts case this has resulted in slurred speech, clumsy fingers and a weak grip. His doctors have given him 2 to 5 years to live.
Now Joost is a changed man and spends his time and money supporting others with similar disabilities through his charity the J9 foundation and rather than taking the credit for his actions he insists that at public fundraising events his publicist talk because he does not want the event to be about him.
His battle to perform the simplest of tasks was heart breaking to watch but Joost points out “I am still alive, not dead.” He told Watts that “there was a time in the beginning when I just withdrew. And I actually had to make a decision: I’m going to sit here and die or you’re going to live your life, enjoy it while you can. And I wake up with a smile.”
This is so true to any one battling disability or adversity. Every moment you are alive you make a conscious decision to feel happy or sad, positive or negative, helpless or powerful, victimised or motivated. It is up to you to choose how to feel every second of every day regardless of situation or circumstance.
Choose wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment